Are you sick of the yo-yo dieting cycle?
I know I have had my share of ups and downs with “dieting.” In the past year and a half, I feel like this cycle has ended for me and I have finally found something that is a lifestyle approach to staying healthy and at my body’s optimal weight. Everything changed for me when I learned how important lean muscle was to my weight loss goals.
I used to starve myself to lose the weight and struggled for years with an eating disorder. But after learning a few of the facts about how the body works it clicked with me. The very thing I was doing to myself, starving myself to lose weight, was actually KILLING my chances of losing weight the right way and keeping it off!!
Now, after having four babies, I’m not sure I even could starve myself again if I wanted to. 🙂 I’ve grown to love food way to much and for that I’m thankful!
While you may not be struggling with an eating disorder, if you are simply reducing calories your body will still go into what is called the “famine mode” and it will burn muscle rather than fat. It needs some fat to survive and it will hold onto it.
But there is hope….weight doesn’t have to rule your life or be something you can never quite get a handle on…in a healthy way. You CAN get your body into a healthy weight and keep it there…and you don’t have to starve yourself to do it!!
In 1980 35% of Americans were overweight to obese.
46 BILLION Dollars and hundreds of diets later…
More than 65% of Americans are overweight to obese.
Why Most Diets Fail
Obviously, something is not working!!! We are spending all that money on weight loss and diets, yet we are the most obese we have every been!!! What are we doing wrong??
Most Diets Are:
- Nutritionally inadequate = you feel bad, sooner or later (headaches anyone??)
- Too hard to follow= interferes with life (You can only eat so much meat or so many grapefruits!! Come on people!! We aren’t supposed to live off one food or that would be all that was created! Plus it’s not easy cooking one thing for yourself, and another for the rest of the fam!)
- Results are too slow = frustration
- Unsafe ingredients = negative side effects (Ephedra, Ephedra Alternatives, other stimulants)
- Slow your metabolism = the Yo-Yo effect begins!
The Vicious Diet Cycle:
- DIET (decrease in calories)
- FAMINE RESPONSE (lose weight from lean muscle and fat; reduce your metabolic rate, which increases your fat storage)
- FALL OFF (increase in calories)
- FEAST RESPONSE (reduced metabolic rate, you’ve lost muscle mass, so therefore you regain the weight from fat)
- REPEAT (overweight)
So in a Nutshell…
You decide you are overweight, so you go on a diet. You do that the typical American way of dieting, which is to reduce your calories. This DOES cause you to lose weight, BUT there is no way to tell if you are losing MUSCLE or FAT when you stand on a scale and see weight loss!
The problem with this is that the less lean muscle you have, the slower your metabolism runs. The slower your metabolism, the less fat you burn!
So when you fall off the diet, or maybe you simply reached your goal weight, you start eating “normal” again. However, you have less lean muscle than you did before, a slower metabolism as a result and therefore gain all the weight back and some! If you don’t have muscle you don’t burn fat!
So remember, most diets will not help you retain your muscle mass and keep off the weight. I searched high and low to find something that would help me do that.
Have you ever struggled with the yo-yo diet cycle? What did you do about it?