This is a weekly staple in our house! I make a huge batch and store it in an airtight container. We snack on this during the day for a great “pick-me-up.” It’s also great to grab in baggies when you are headed out. Having this in your purse at all times will keep you from grabbing the snacks of less nutritional value or fast food. Before we leave, the kids know to grab their own bags of HealthyOates Energy Trail Mix.
I’d love your feedback on this one, since it is one of our favorites! Leave comments of what you think or what your families’ unique “add-in” are. We are always looking for creative ideas!
HealthyOates Energy Trail Mix
- 2 Cups Almonds
- 2 Cups Walnuts
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Cup Cranberries
- 1 Cup Raisins
- 1 Cup Date Pieces, rolled in Oats Flour
- 1 Bag chopped, dried pineapple
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut pieces
- Dark Chocolate bits
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
Toss nuts and seed in a bowl with 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil (melted) or Olive Oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Spread nuts evenly on the pan. Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes – 1 hour, till desired doneness is reached. Turn every 15 minutes to prevent burning.
Cool. Mix in other ingredients. Toss and enjoy!
1. I get my date pieces at Kroger in their whole foods bins
2. Buy cranberries that are unsulphered and don’t have sugar. Ours are sweetened with cane juice, which is still a form of sugar, but less processed and does not have bleach (yes, white sugar is bleached! It doesn’t come from the ground white!) 🙂
3. Nuts can be pricey, so we get ours in bulk from Costco. Raw is always better, that is why we take the few minutes to do the trail mix ourselves. Store bought, roasted nuts have been heated to high degrees, causing the oils (which are processed, hydrogenated oils, to go rancid and can be carcinogenic.
4. Let the kids help with this one. It’s not a messy recipe and they LOVE to help measure everything out! The girls loved chopping the pineapple into bite sized pieces. (They also love eating it as fast as they chop it!)
5. Just break the chocolate apart or use a food chopper to cut up the bar. Or add in chocolate chips for an even quicker fix!