Traditional chocolate cake recipes call for 2 cups of sugar for the cake and 3 cups powered sugar for the icing. This one calls for 1 1/3 cup Agave for the cake and 2/3 cup agave for the icing. Simply by replacing the type of sugar you use, you are saving 1200 calories! And by adding in our Shaklee Protein, you are getting all 23 amino acids—in a delicious cake! Click here
to read more about why Agave is so much better for you! Recipe is adapted from Delicious Meets Nutritious Cookbook.
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten Free flour*
- 1/2 cup Shaklee Instant Protein Mix**
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
* I used Rice flour that I made myself in my Vita-Mix. You can purchase Gluten free flour at any health food store. You can replace gluten free flour with regular flour or pastry flour.
**The protein replaces some of the flour and adds in essential amino acids. If you do not have this, you can get some here or replace with more flour.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Organic or Raw Milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup water (boiling)
- 1 1/3 cup Agave
- 2/3 cup Agave
- 1 stick Organic Butter
- 1/3 cup Organic milk, cream, or water
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients–mixing the hot water in last.
- Beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes. Batter will be thin.
- Lightly spray pan and then dust with flour to prevent sticking. Do this for cupcakes as well, unless you use cupcake tins.
- Pour batter into either two 9 in. rounds, one 9 x 13 inch pan, or you can make cupcake, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before icing.
- Mix milk (cream, water) and cocoa with hand mixer or in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Add butter and Agave and blend with hand mixer (or in a blender) for another minute until smooth.
- Refrigerate icing while cake is cooking and cooling.
- Spread icing on cake after cake has cooled.