Are you one of the millions of people around the world that loves the taste of a cold soda? I often wonder if people are aware of what they are actually drinking when they consume one of these sugary beverages. They may taste great, but they will certainly not help you achieve your health goals! Even more shocking is how many people, in an attempt to get “healthier,” switch to the Diet varieties which use toxic, artificial sweeteners. I know many people think the diet versions will help them lose weight, but the statistics actually show that GAINING weight is associated with drinking diet sodas.
Here are few reasons why sodas (especially diet ones) will absolutely not help you achieve your health goals:
- pH of 2.5: Sodas are 50,000 times more acidic than neutral. It would require 30 glasses of clean water to balance out just ONE can of soda. Why is this important? All diseases (including cancer) thrive in an acidic environment.
- Sugar: Regular coke contains 10 teaspoons of sugar in one can. Just FYI–there are also 10 teaspoons of sugar in a serving of apple juice and 8 teaspoons of sugar in a can of orange juice. (Most people substitute water with lots of juice for their kids, thinking they are getting a serving of fruit in the process. However, unless it is organic, which can be very pricey, even 100% turns to pure sugar in the body due to the process of how juice is made. Fruit is heated at extreme temperatures and literally depletes it of all nutrients and converts it to a different type of sugar). So beware of how much added sugar you are getting from your drinks!
- High Fructose Corn Syrup: This highly processed sweetener significantly raises insulin levels and has been linked to Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome. Plus, the majority of HFCS is derived from genetically modified corn. And now the harmful preservative mercury is now being used in HFCS.
- Aspartame, Splenda: All artificial sweeteners are just that–Artificial. They are the result of a chemical process that produces dangerous neurotoxic compounds. Aspartame has been linked to brain tumors, migraines/headaches, epilepsy/seizures, depression and autoimmune diseases. Sucrolose (Splenda) falls into the same category. The company claims it is made from sugar, but they neglect to tell you they alter a sugar molecule and insert chlorine–a dangerous carcinogen (cancer causing agent).
- Caffeine: Caffeine has a half-life of 6 hours, meaning that it will stay in your body for 12 hours before the effect wears off. Even if you think caffeine doesn’t affect you, it will still alter your sleep cycles and the quality of your sleep. Caffeine is also a diuretic–dehydrating you even though you believe you are ingesting liquids.
1. Stop drinking sodas (especially diet ones) immediately!
2. Switch to water or green tea (which has far less caffeine, but with the added bonus of major antioxidants to keep you young and healthy)–try Shaklee 180 Energizing Tea
3. What we use in our house is Shaklee Performance. Performance rehydrates faster than water and provides energy to keep you going. It’s just what you need to keep your fuel (blood glucose) levels up and replenish your electrolytes for quick rehydration. Our kids love this drink too. We sip it all day to keep all of our energy levels up.